John Trengove has a multi-faceted background which includes studying drama and acting at UCT (University of Cape Town), completing his Masters in filmmaking at NYU and directing some of South Africa’s most cutting edge television drama that has got people’s attention at awards shows such as the Monte Carlo television awards.
John’s recognition as an actor has cemented his ability as a character driven performance director who likes to experiment and play and merge forms and ideas whilst focusing on a very particular visual sensibility. What drives this unconventional storyteller is redefining what an audience thinks of good visuals and performances. John feels strongly that some of the most interesting and creative solutions come out of the greatest restraints.
Bouffant is excited to have John as part of the Fringe team whose provocative mindset fits perfectly with what Fringe is setting out to do which is breaking the boundaries of conventional advertising and transcending the expectations of the 30 second commercial.
Awards / Nominations
• Winner, Fespaco Award for Best Film (Hopeville) 2011
• Nominee, AMA Award in 9 categories (Hopeville) 2011
• Nominee, International Emmy Award for Best Miniseries (Hopeville) 2010
• Winner, Rose d’Or Award for Best Drama (Hopeville) 2010
• Winner, Loerie Gold Craft Award for Directing (Absa L’Atelier campaign) 2010
• Named one of the Mail & Guardian’s 200 Young South Africans 2010
• Nominee, Monte Carlo Television Award for Best Miniseries (Hopeville) 2009
• Nominee, Safta Award for Best Director, The Lab / Bay of Plenty 2008/9